Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Walkerton to Kona

Got a little bored today and decided to start my own blog. Doubt many people will actually take the time to read it, but I got nothing better to do so its all good. I'm sitting in my office looking out at Hualalai mountain and thinking of how I got out here on this rock called Hawaii and how God worked in my life to get me where I am right now. Back in 2006 is when I met Laura in college. I was from the small town of Walkerton and she was from a so called small town of Kona. Kona is about 5 times the size of Walkerton, so calling it a small town is hard for me to do.
My first visit out here was to meet my future inlaws. I had to fly out over Christmas break by myself. It was only my 3rd time ever flying and my first time flying by myself. As we began our decent the pilot came on the speaker and said "If you look out the window to your left you can see the Island of Hawaii." As we got closer and closer to the Island I noticed that there was a lot of lava rock everywhere. I wasn't sure that this was the right Island. In the Mainland we picture Hawaii being this lush Island with all kinds of palm trees and beautiful flowers everywhere and all I could see was lava flows.
I instantly fell in love with this place. I finished my second semester of college and moved out here 2 weeks after baseball season was over. I spent the first month looking for a job and ended up working for Hawaiian Rugs. $1,000-$30,000 rugs? Really? These were the most expensive rugs I had ever seen. After about a month I came to the conculsion that selling rugs was not for me. I was offered a job as head technician for DirecTV and jumped at the opportunity. I paid me twice as much and I got to work outside and enjoy the tropical weather.
About 3 months into the job I did an install at a condo in Kona Sea Ridge. The client was the General Manager of the Honda dealership here in Kona. We got to talking and he asked me if I had ever thought about a career in car sales. I had always thought about being a car salesman if I wasn't able to play pro ball. It seemed pretty easy and sounded like the money was good. I talked it over with Laura and she was a bit skeptical because it was commission based. I told her I didn't want to be installing DireTV for the rest of my life and thought that selling cars could be a good move.
Jerry (the GM at Honda) hired me about 2 weeks later and I was hooked. Selling cars gave me that competitive high that I needed from playing sports all my life. Selling cars is a game between you and the customer. I instanly knew that this was the business for me and began moving my way up. Now 3 years later I'm the General Sales Manager of Big Island Honda - Kona and as I look back, I can see how God opened and closed doors for me to be where I am right now.
All my life I wanted to play pro ball and planned on doing whatever it took to make that happen. God closed that door knowing that it was not the best thing for me. He lead me from Valparaiso University to Bethel College, where I met Laura. He then brought me out to Hawaii and gave me the DirecTV job knowing I would meet Jerry creating the opportunity to work for Big Island Honda, along with a lot more series of events which moved me up in the business.
God is good and he does provide. I can honestly say that I would not be sitting here right now without him. I owe it all to him. Thats all I got for today.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, glad you started a blog, excited to hear about your new adventures in triathlon too. Your story sounds so much like mine in college, had no clue what God was doing with me but doors were closing all over with my surfing & Costa Rica teaching job then He moved me to Hawaii too and through it all the verse that I clung to while going from that life to this was Jer. 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, plans to give you a hope and a furture...

    ALL the best to you and Laura and the little family you are creating... He has even more plans!

    ReplyDelete